SURPRISE THEATRE @ The Royal Court
My Graft: Director
- “RITES”….My Graft: Co-crator
- ★★★★★ – Upstaged Manchester ‘accomplished’ Click to read more
- ★★★★★ – The Public Reviews ‘human’ ‘inclusive’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Times ‘powerful’ ‘sensitively performed’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Guardian ‘subtly argued’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Herald ‘unflinching study of female genital mutilation’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The List ‘a powerful call to listen’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Big Issue ‘bold and challenging perspective’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – TV Bomb ‘demonstrates exactly why FGM is an issue for 21st century Britain’ Click to read more
- ★★★ – The Telegraph ‘well researched and culturally sensitive’ Click to read more
Rites is a powerful and provocative new production exploring the deep-rooted cultural practice of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM – sometimes called female circumcision).
Rites is based on recent interviews and true stories from girls affected in the UK, mothers who feel under pressure to continue the practice, and the experiences of midwives, lawyers, police officers, teachers and health workers trying to effect change in communities.
The show weaves different perspectives into a multi-voiced production exploring the complexities, misconceptions and challenges involved in trying to change what is to many, a fundamental rite of passage.
Created by Olivier award-winning director, Cora Bissett (Roadkill, Glasgow Girls) and acclaimed Mancunian theatre-maker Yusra Warsama (Make-Believe, There Has Possibly Been An Incident).