I always write- I have written plays for theatre, radio and also devised processes.
Interesting Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) poetry commission to come (I.A.)……
HERE IS THAT POEM LINK – https://vimeo.com/160815585 – “DO YOU SEE”
Working on a children theatre piece with Vicky Director of Upswing- should be a magical experience for little people and their grown ups
To update on something on the post below, the piece that looks at the world of FGM now has a name RITES – it’s exciting and hopefully opens up the complexities that surround FGM, trying to understand why this happens and a way forward
Follow the blog will update soon hopefully sharing some of the thinking and learning on this journey
National Theatre Scotland & CONTACT THEATRE
There’s fantastic woman named Cora Bisset who I’m currently working with on writing a new play, we have currently just completely an R&D process and now have lots of wonderful possibilities for words. We also had the joy of meeting the living legend Edna Adan, the founder of a great hospital in Hargeisa, Somalia and tireless campaigner for women’s rights!
BEDTIME STORIES – 29TH AND 30TH OCTOBER 2015 – THE ALBANY, LONDON
24TH AND 25TH OCTOBER 2015 – BRISTOL CIRCUS CITY
RITES – Tour completed May/June 2015 (more to come 2016 I.A.)
A bit of info on Rites……..
- ★★★★★ – Upstaged Manchester ‘accomplished’ Click to read more
- ★★★★★ – The Public Reviews ‘human’ ‘inclusive’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Times ‘powerful’ ‘sensitively performed’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Guardian ‘subtly argued’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Herald ‘unflinching study of female genital mutilation’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The List ‘a powerful call to listen’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – The Big Issue ‘bold and challenging perspective’ Click to read more
- ★★★★ – TV Bomb ‘demonstrates exactly why FGM is an issue for 21st century Britain’ Click to read more
- ★★★ – The Telegraph ‘well researched and culturally sensitive’ Click to read more
Rites is a powerful and provocative new production exploring the deep-rooted cultural practice of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM – sometimes called female circumcision).
Rites is based on recent interviews and true stories from girls affected in the UK, mothers who feel under pressure to continue the practice, and the experiences of midwives, lawyers, police officers, teachers and health workers trying to effect change in communities.
The show weaves different perspectives into a multi-voiced production exploring the complexities, misconceptions and challenges involved in trying to change what is to many, a fundamental rite of passage.
Created by Olivier award-winning director, Cora Bissett (Roadkill, Glasgow Girls) and acclaimed Mancunian theatre-maker Yusra Warsama (Make-Believe, There Has Possibly Been An Incident).
LINKS TO SOME TEXT…..